Circuit of the Americas top executive Bobby Epstein says that a second Formula 1 race for the Austin, Texas, facility is possible in 2021.
Meanwhile, track owner Roger Penske can’t say the same for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
As F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali is trying to maintain a full 23-race calendar amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, the United States continues to be mentioned as a possible Plan B for cancelled races. Currently, the official Formula 1 website shows Oct. 3 as to be confirmed “TBC” on the calendar after the cancellation of the Singapore Grand Prix. A race scheduled for China was cancelled earlier this year.
Circuit of the Americas is scheduled to host its Grand Prix on Oct. 24. Both COTA and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway have been rumored to be in the discussion to possibly bring Formula 1 back to 23 races on the schedule as COVID-19 restrictions are relaxed in the United States.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Roger Penske, however, said the IMS road course is not an option for F1 this year.
“We’re not in any position at the moment,” Penske told the Associated press.
Roger Penske tells me @IMS is *NOT* in current talks to be host of a 2nd U.S. F1 race in 2021 “We’re not in any position at the moment… we’re always talking, but the economics would have to work on both sides to make it happen and we’re not in any discussion.” https://t.co/lA4yVzBEZN
Epstein, on the other hand is not ruling it out.
“As long as I put the word possible in front of it, then we’re good,” Epstein told ESPN. “A second race in Austin is possible’, I read that and thought, ‘well, that’s true’.
“A second race in Austin is a done deal, that is not true. But it’s easy to flip it if they decide they want to and they need to and it’s the best decision for the sport, they can make that decision and we’re there for that.”
Source: Read Full Article