Fernando Alonso won the 24 Hours of Le Mans on Sunday. It was his second win there.
Zak Brown says he would need to run three cars if Fernando Alonso asked for a Formula One return with McLaren.
When Alonso moved away from Formula One at the end of the 2018 season, closing the door on his time in the sport by doing donuts with Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel in front of the main grandstand in Abu Dhabi, the Spaniard left the door open for a return to the sport.
Moving away to focus his efforts on what was ultimately an unsuccessful assault on the Indianapolis 500, Alonso’s unwillingness to completely write off a return has seen the question of a McLaren return being asked about constantly, but Brown told German publication Auto Motor und Sport that the contract situations with current drivers Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz alone make this unlikely.
“Then I first have to ask Chase Carey if I can use three cars,” said Brown. “We have long-term contracts with our current drivers and are also very satisfied with them.
“Fortunately, Fernando has not yet called. There are currently no cockpits available. Our current drivers have done super well so far. They have achieved Q3 in fifty percent of the cases and give us good feedback.
“Moreover, they get along well, so I don’t have to worry about fear when they fight each other.”
Source: Read Full Article